
I decided to search the lyrics of a song that started to play, so I did. As the song played, I read the lyrics...and although the song had played so many times over that I knew most of the words anyway, it was the first time I actually thought about what the song was talking about. Like, I had never been aware what the songs message/story was until I actually tried to figure it out. This isn't even the first time this has happened. It happens all the time!! Unless I am concentrating on what the song is saying, I don't really clue in as to what the purpose of the song is. I don't try to figure it out.
This is the same for everything though, not just music. I don't analyze movies unless it is my intent going into it to sit there and try to figure it out. It's true. It's not like its difficult for me to do that either, but I don't do it every time, because, well...I'm not really sure. You can add books to that list as well. I am an English major, and yet I don't ever pay close enough attention to the crap they make me read because I'm more focused on just getting it done and finished (when I actually choose to read what they give me) as opposed to really taking it in.
I have decided that this is a very serious problem actually. Its not hard in the sense that I have difficulty analyzing things, just getting myself to focus on the interpretation and getting done is what I need to improve.
For someone who thrives on pop-culture, this sure is a massive downer of a realization.

No comments:
Post a Comment