Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Playlists: June and Beyond

Haven't done one of these in a while, and my iTunes has been running almost non-stop the last little bit, so I figured it was time again. Here's what I'm listening to at the present moment:


"Heart Like Mine" by MIRANDA LAMBERT

Probably the first song by her that has found a consistent spot on my rotation since "Famous in a Small Town" came out a few years ago. I can't really put a finger on why I enjoy it so much. It's very catchy, and has a nice "soft-rock" touch even though it's an unmistakable country song. The message it sends even gets me a little bit. Un-perfect should be good enough for anyone. I applaud you Miranda Lambert. Very nice of you.

"Felt Good On My Lips" by TIM MCGRAW

Maybe the first "new" Tim McGraw song that I have ever liked. I didn't really take to the guy until after his songs were popular and in the public's eye. I'm not even sure why, but I used to really dislike the guy. Since I've opened myself up to him though, he's a had a few songs that continually rotate through my repertoire, but nothing from his recent collections. Until now. This one is different for him. It's like a new sound that he's trying out, and yet it still works as a "Tim McGraw" song. To me, those are the best country artists: those who can re-invent themselves, without distancing from their "sound". Here, McGraw accomplishes that with, again, another specifically summer tune. Very cool, and breezy. You and Miranda can sit side by side on my Summer car CD.

"Thought of You"/"Nobody Knows Me At All" by THE WEEPIES

I came across these guys kind of by accident. There was a brilliant animation done to their song "Thought of You" by animator Ryan Woodward, and I adored it. From there, I only recently looked into their other stuff, and I have pretty much fallen in love. They have such a different sound to me. Different than any other artists who would fall into the same category of music anyway. It also just sounds so beautiful, regardless of the song. There is something about the flow of it that is relaxing and gorgeous. Anyway, those two songs hit the deepest, so they have been getting played a tad more frequently. Here. I'm even gonna be nice and will provide that animation I mentioned. Bask in it's beauty...


"People Know You By Your First Name" by DEAN BRODY

Technically NOT my favourite song from his album "Trail in Life" (that would be "Roll That Barrel Out") but this IS the song that I've transitioned to for Summer listening purposes. Went out and bought his album blind, based solely on my appreciation for "Barrel" and this was the next best song that Brody had. I can't really figure why, but I've got a soft spot for "small town country" songs, despite growing up in a suburb my whole life. With "First Name" Brody touches on his first hit, "Dirt Road Scholar" which is one of my favourites from the last few years in country music, so through nostalgia alone, the song has got me. But, just as with McGraw, it doesn't sound the same. It's similar in it's execution, but he provides something completely unique of his earlier stuff. Also, it's a great song to just belt.

"Am I The Only One?" by DIERKS BENTLEY

Sorry, another country one. It's summer. That's what I tend to gravitate towards. It just, fits. This is the first Dierks song I've enjoyed in a while. He did unfortunately dip into the part of his career where a lot of his new music was kinda slow, and it all sounded very similar. Here, he gets back to where he left off with "What Was I Thinkin'?" and "How Am I Doin'?" (Apparently he has his best moments with songs asking questions...) Once again, I don't know why a song about drinking and partying is so enjoyable for me, but it is. I don't question it. It's fun. It's just a very fun song. And it's what Dierks had been missing for the last little while I think. So, welcome back, sir.

No comments: