
Liz Taylor passed away early yesterday. And I'm not
sure how this makes me feel.
I am saddened, of course, but she was never one of those actresses that I longed to see. She didn't have the same on-screen appeal to me that Katherine Hepburn or Shirley MacLaine did. Come to think of it, I don't know if I even recall a single movie outside of The Flintstones that I actually saw her act in.
To me, Elizabeth Taylor was more about image than anything else. And that in itself is something that resonates with me. Her divine beauty and persona as a divatic film star is what made me take interest in her. No, I never really engaged in her life as much as other stars of that era, but she always seemed to fit in right alongside them anyway, despite this. So while it indeed saddening that this happened, it hasn't impacted me as much as it should have. Regardless, I recognize how important she was to the film industry, and how an era of film stars is very much coming to an end. That is more sad than anything else to me...
I think I am going to write a column based around her, and that thought for the next paper. And I also think that I'll try to see Giant or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? soon too.
Rest in Peace, Ms. Taylor.

No comments:
Post a Comment