Let's begin.
"Toes" by THE ZACK BROWN BAND
It should indeed be mentioned that this song isn't specifically a "Springtime" song, because, as it turns out, it helped me get through the winter as well. And I'll put money down it will still deliver during the summer as well. But Zac Brown and is band have provided what is unquestionably the best country tune I have heard in the last year. Whenever it comes on my iPod I can't help but listen to it two times over, and attempt to refrain from singing along as to abolish any chance I have of embarrassing myself in a public place. A few times, I have definitely caught myself mouthing the words, and yet, I don't even care. It's awesome enough that I don't find myself minding the embarrassment.
After listening to the song, it might become apparent to you that it is all about going to Mexico and doing nothing but getting drunk and forgetting the hustle and bussell of the rat race back home. And then you will ask yourself, "why in the world do YOU like this Gray?? You don't get drunk or dream of that situation." Well, this is true. But it's more the imagery of it all. The ability to stop what I'm doing right then and there and go away to take it easy. Spend my time on a beach with a cold drink and beautiful girls. I don't actually want that but it sure as hell makes for a nice day dream, doesn't it. I actually start to feel more relaxed when this song begins to play. It's in the same vain as Jimmy Buffett for me. I don't want to be in Margaritaville, but I do long for something easier than this. And that's how Zack Brown helps.
So good.
"Broken" by TIFT MERRITT
There is something about Tift Merritt's vocals in this song that just makes me fall in love with her. I can't even really explain it, but all I know is that when I hear "Broken" I just want to hug something. It's soft and sweet, like the way a warm cookie tastes straight out of the oven. I don't have much more to say about this song, except that I adore it. And Tift Merritt. And I also love that name. Tift Merritt. Gorgeous.
"Brothers" by DEAN BRODY
You need a song to make you sad on your playlist too, don't you?? I think that's the rule, anyway. In that case, "Brothers" is that song. I actually came across this song by an accident. After I fell in love last summer with Dean Brody's "Dirst Road Scholar" I tried to access whatever else I could from his repertoire and this song is the only other one that really took. It's just one of those really touching country tunes that is meant for nothing else than to break your heart a little inside all the while making you feel a whole lot more complete. I know a few of you are thinking that "country song?? Supposed to be good?? HA!!" And it might not be your cup of tea. That's fine. But I find it hard to believe that you won't be at least a little bit moved by it, especially if you have a brother of your own.
I'm also just realizing now that all these songs so far have one word titles... time to change that.
"Sloop John B" by THE BEACH BOYS
This song actually came on the radio (I know, I almost forgot those existed) the other day, and it triggered my Beach Boys phase that I go through every once in a while. I didn't wanna put all of their songs on this list, so I've just opted to put the one that inspired me to start listening to them again.
"Sloop John B" works perfectly because to me, it feels as though this song should be played while someone pulls back a curtain on the winter weather, to reveal a bright and sunny re-birth of everything green and beautiful. That's what Spring is. And this song helps me anticipate all of that. It also helps me to want summer, so I have that going for me as well.
"This Must Be The Place" by MILES FISHER
I'm actually at nearing the end of my phase that included this song, but I figured it still comes on my iTunes enough, and I listen to it, that it still deserves a spot on this list. We'll call it a transition song, from the Winter to the Summer.
There might be a few of you who have either never heard of this song, or recognize it from a facebook post I included it on during last summer where it was featured for having an incredible video that is based around American Psycho. Miles Fisher is actually damn talented. He seems kind of douchy in real life, but I rather enjoy his music. And that's saying something, because it's very techno heavy, and that's not up my alley chico. I think the real appeal of the song to me comes from it's "walkability". Very few songs work as well as this one when walking anywhere, with my earphones in, stepping to the beat. Especially when you walk at quick pace as I tend to. Oh and for those of you wondering, "walkability" was not underlines with a red squiggly from spell check. Does that mean it's an actual word?? Really?? Weird.
"Gunpowder and Lead" by MIRANDA LAMBERT
My apologies for going so country heavy on this list, but I didn't realize until right now that that's actually where my music-heart has been as of late. I mean, is there really a better genre of music to spark the beginning of outdoors and sunshine and warm weather?? Oh, there is?? Well then... keep it to yourself!!
Miranda Lambert is one of the few female country stars I actually seem to like. I mean music wise. She doesn't have that "pop" that Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood has. It's replaced by the real Nashville twang, which, I adore. She has a number of good songs, and is very consistent with her music, but "Gunpowder and Lead" is just so intoxicating that I'm always so pumped right after I listen to it. This is kind of weird because the whole song is about a girl waiting to get revenge on the man who used to beat her. Hell, the actually lyrics are "I'm going to show him what little girls are made of, Gunpowder and Lead!!". Still though, despite not being a girl, my intensity levels shoot through the roof after hearing this song, and I love it. A little bit of me wants to go out and fight douche bags after it's over.

No comments:
Post a Comment