Without letting any personal details merge into this post, I will simply state that this entire semester of taking 6 course may in fact have been an entire bust. It's going to come down to the wire before I can tell if that's the case, but I'm pretty confident that I am screwed. Combine this nagging feeling of failure looming at the front of my dome with the knowledge that one year ago today, I had already been finished ALL of my work the equivalent of four days ago (I was out by Dec. 6th last year), and I simply cannot be in that holly jolly Christmas spirit that I so long to be in. I will be finished on the 17th, but not home until the 19th probably, and then factor in all the family Christmas stuff, and then that I won't be around any time after New Year's Eve due to the wedding I have to attend which is out of town and requires 3 days of my time, I am really getting screwed out of some quality break time.
I can recall a time back in grade 7, when we had an assignment due and it was absolutely mandatory that we hand it in before the end of this certain class period. I can't even tell you what the assignment was, but I got it done, and handed it in. Later in the day, my teacher Mr. Lawrence (we used to call him the "Law" because he was an unbelievable hard ass for little things that didn't matter...we were clever, eh??) called me to his desk and asked me what my excuse was for not handing in my assignment.
If he had been any other teacher I would have thought he was joking, but I knew he was "no joke" kind of guy, so I told him that I handed it in. He told me that he didn't have it, and with certain quivering in my voice, I reassured him that I did. As if I was a child who had misplaced a toy, he told me to go back and retrace my steps to see if I thought I handed it in, but had really dropped it and forgotten it along the way. I said I didn't think so even though I knew I hadn't, but to humour him, I went along with it, and started to retrace my steps.
I went back to the computer station I was working at, looked through my folders in my binder and backpack, and I even went so far as to go back to the classroom where I had had an earlier Tech lesson to see if I had left it there.
Nada.
So I kind of started to panic, because I was going to lose these deserved marks for an assignment I had actually finished on time and handed in. To no avail in my search, I made my way back to my own classroom and went to face my fate when I told Mr. Lawrence that I didn't know what happened to it. As I came back into the room, he was at his desk, holding a piece of paper up to get my attention. I walked over, noticing another guy in the class standing beside him, looking sheepish.
"Wade, this is your writing, right??" he solemnly asked me.
I looked at the sheet, and sure enough, that was my paper, which I had assured Mr. Lawrence, the "Law", that I had handed in, only hours earlier. When I looked at the corner of the paper though, where I had signed my name, it had been ripped off, looking as though it was mangled by the dog that I actually didn't own. Then, to the right of the rip, was another name. "Adam M", the boy standing right there looking embarrassed to be alive. I looked up at my teacher, and assured him that this was my writing.
"That's what I thought. Alright Wade, thank you. My apologies for not believing that you handed in your assignment. It seems someone here decided that stealing someone else's assignment was a good idea."
There was just this massive anger in Mr. Lawrence's eyes. I stood there, completely flabbergasted that this dude in my class, a guy that was the epitome of a bad student, decided to steal MY paper and use it for his own, and put me through a pound of stress for no apparent reason. What an idiot. Why would he choose MY paper?? I mean, my writing is so distinct, and unordinary. Of COURSE you were gonna get caught kid!!
Anyway, Mr. Lawrence demanded an apology from Adam to me, and then through out at least 2 weeks of detention to the guy. Even though he said he was sorry, in the "looking down at the ground, ashamed to look up because that might mean eye contact" kind of way, I wanted to punch the guy in the face. Just have Mr. Lawrence go, "Adam, say you're sorry" and then I wind up and clock him before he gets a syllable out of his buck-toothed mouth. That would have been glorious.
But alas, I couldn't. And it was a feeling I have had to suppress ever since then. It was one of those moments that you know you can't do anything about, but want to really badly. And that's how I feel all the time now. Like I want to do something about the way things have gone lately, but haven't the power to do so. It's so frustrating.
So, the solution will be for someone to find that kid in my Grade 7 class and let me punch him in the face. Or, maybe, I just go to the local middle school and punch the first kid who looks like him. Makes sense right??

No comments:
Post a Comment