It's approximately 12:45 on a gloriously sunny, fall day. The weather is crisp, but the sun balances the cool with a kiss of warmth. I have my headphones in and I am walking, at about my regular, faster-than-most, pace. I'm on my way to school to take a two midterms back-to-back, and I am a little bit saddened that I will be cooped up in class for 8 hours straight instead of being able to live through this wonderfully beautiful day here on campus.
Alas, I have to take the tests. So, I am walking along, weaving my way past all the slow-pokes and people who don't realize that other people may actually have places to go or, in my case, have class at 1 o'clock. I am walking to the beat of the song ringing in my head, when I reach the standard stop light at the main intersection in front of the university. I stand. I wait. I watch to see how many cars are lining up to hit the inevitable "advanced green" and when I can beat the rest of the chumps standing and waiting, because they never pay attention to details that would give them a few extra seconds above everyone else.
Anyway, I'm standing. I'm waiting. I watch the cars turn in front of me. And then, as the final car makes the turn, the advanced signal not quite gone yet, I dart out in front of everyone and begin crossing, well ahead of everyone else. And then it hit me.
A blue Honda. Trying to make the already deflated advanced turn signal.
No, I'm totally joking. Had y'all going though, eh?? Anyway, what REALLY hit me (not literally) and almost through me off my feet was something across the street that I had never seen before. I was absolutely stunned, to the point that I actually muttered something aloud (I can't recall exactly what...something along the lines of "...okay??") despite the fact that I was most certainly alone on this walk. It only lasted a couple of seconds, but you would never believe what was right there, across the street, like some kind of rare and ugly animal only ever witnessed on a satellite feed of some National Geographic special.
Walking, with a grey bearded and Crocodile-Dundee hatted man, who must have been her husband, was a woman. Yeah, of course it wasn't JUST a woman. No, this woman was dressed like a cowgirl. And hold on, it's not as simple as that. This woman was dressed as a cowGIRL. Not a cowwoman. But a girl, of about 5 or 6, who would then continue to dress herself in the attire of Annie Oakley. This woman, of about 50, was in a black cowboy hat, two sizes too small, messy pigtails, a plain, yet rather puffy, ski-jacket, a skirt with coolots, bare legs (and I'm not talking legs that SHOULD be bare...or legs that should be seen witha skirt either) and a pair of black and red cowboy boots.
I had to do a double take. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing here. A woman, clearly no longer in her prime cowgal years, and yet, BAM!! There she is. In all her little kiddie glory. Her appearance was just gross...but the kind of gross that you can't stop watching because it's hypnotic, like someone who can dislocate their shoulders at will and move their arms willy nilly around their head. And here I am just walking across the street, and this couple walks by. It couldn't have been more than a two seconds, but it was a hilarious two seconds nonetheless.
I have definitely seen weirder things, but it's been awhile for something to make me talk to myself to reiterate how ridiculous it is.
Funny!!
Oh, and I wrote both the midterms, attended all 8 hours of class again, came home, and was exhausted. But I'm still awake. Rawk on!!

No comments:
Post a Comment