Saturday, September 5, 2009

"There might be a little dust on the bottle..."

Is it honestly some sort of rule, that once you hit the point of "over the hill" that you're ability to contain your thoughts in a movie theater are thrown out the window. 

During a screening of Julie & Julia tonight, I was laughing harder at the "youthfully challenged" audience than I was at the movie. I mean, it was like I was sitting in a living room of 50 year olds who were watching their own home movies of when they grew up. Like I want to sit there and listen to any sort of comments that they make regarding something funny that happened to Meryl Streep.

Don't get me wrong, it's not obnoxious teenagers yelling things at the screen, completely oblivious at the fact that other people around them may in fact not care for some idiot's comments which proves they are an idiot. And of course, it's not quite like some young douche who has pulled out their cell and actually taken a call mid-movie, well aware of how much they may be disturbing the people surrounding them who didn't pay to hear "how great their boyfriend is in bed" (although, some 50 year old guy, did answer his phone, which is rude no matter what your age). 

What these people do, is more subtle than any oblivious teen, but it does get more annoying. Had I been in a movie that actually required the room to be silent, in order to build tension, I would have no question, asked them to "shut it". Luckily for them though, this movie made me give a "pass" to their antics of "look at the cat!! aHA!!" and repeating lines to their significant others that have literally just been said by Amy Adams within the movie. 

Utterly ridiculous. So if it is in fact a rule of getting older, I have already warned my parents to disobey the rulebook for that one. What I would suggest is getting all the low-talked-but-still-audible-comments out of the way before hand. Maybe, before you get to the movie, you understand that yes, "he IS in this!!". 

I'll even give you the trailers to get it all out of your system. Because, let's face it, as annoying as it eventually becomes, a couple are too funny to warrant a complete implosion of the system. 

"Too much oboe" anyone?? Haha. 

No comments: