Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw."



The title of this post is derived from a line in Heathers. I watched it for the first time today, not really knowing what I was going to get. I predicted something along the lines of Bring It On but with murder. What I got was my expectation...taken to a whole level I never even imagined.

I am so pissed at myself for not watching this movie until now. I mean, I wish I had experienced this sadistic, maniacal, wonderful piece of dark comedy in high school, when it probably would have mattered a little more. It just does such a lovely job of putting it all in perspective for everyone. It demonstrates so casually the pressures of high school and how they are so easily blown out of proportion. 

The whole hierarchy of the student body is something that was conceived by the people who give into what Heathers is all about. I can honestly say that with a viewing of this movie, every stupid piece of drama that happened back in those days seems completely belittled. As it should. 

What I am getting at is that this movie is camp genius. A true surreal uptake of "Beverly Hills 90210" crossing over with a John Waters film. It shares my views on teen angst being obnoxiously stupid, but also goes farther by saying that it never really seems to stop. It is reassuring to know that I am not alone in the world in believing that everyone should really stop trying to "change the world" (I use that term loosely...obviously some people should try to change SOME things). 

And the whole rebel vs. psychopath thing is some pure samaritan genius right there. 

So just be aware that without a movie like Heathers, there would be no Bring It On, Mean Girls or Juno. I now believe that this was the first trend setting teen drama, and appreciated it shall be. 

Fuck me gently with a chainsaw. What a superbly expressed bit of dialogue. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha, vlad and i just watched mean girls!

Gray McAdam said...

you should attempt to watch this one next. it is really awesome.