100 posts. I have written, 100 frickin' blog posts in just under a year. The majority of them coming in the past two months. So, because I wanted to keep my blog running, I figured I'd better get my celebratory 100th post done and out of the way to make room for my other ones that I have coming. That, and I really, really, want something to distract me from essay writing. Also, I have no idea why the font changed to the way it is, but apparently the one that I normally use does not exist for me to change this to it. Don't ask me why.
Anyway, as you may have guessed, the theme of this is going to be (Ba Ba Bahba!!)...
THE WORST WRITTEN "FRIENDS" PLOT LINES, EPISODES & DIALOGUE: PART DEUX

That's right. As promised, I am adding more to my list of "bad" "Friends" moments, because, well, I can. I've just been watching so much of it lately, that I figured I would just do it again to correspond with my 100th post as a blogger. Also, just remember that when I say "bad" I don't really mean "bad". I just mean moments I believe had potential to be better. If I really wanted to look up bad moments, this post would be on "Will & Grace". Take that Megan Mullaly!!
Anyway, let's begin again, shall we??
SEASON 6, EPISODE 14: "THE ONE WHERE CHANDLER CAN'T CRY"
PHOBE, CHANDLER, MONICA and JOEY are sitting watching E.T. JOEY begins to cry because he forgot the end and then PHOEBE pipes in, talking about sadder movies.
PHOEBE
You know what's sadder than this?? Bambi. I cried for three days. No wait two. 'Cuz on the third day my mother killed herself so I was partly crying for that.
It's kind of irritating when shows have anachronisms with regards to character's personal feelings. There was an entire episode in the second season (The One Where Old Yeller Dies) in which it is revealed that Phoebe's mom never allowed her to watch the endings of sad movies. Yet, here, in this exact statement that Phoebe makes, she acknowledges that Bambi was a movie she was allowed to see all the way through. She was sheltered from the endings of Love Story, Old Yeller and Beaches, but a strict vegetarian who loves all animals was aloud to see Bambi's mom die??
Naw. I don't think so.
It's not as bad as some other moments, and there could even be a reasonable explanation behind this which we never get to know, but I feel it was an unneeded line that could have been something else just as funny without mentioning Phoebe's dead mother. Oh, and it's also kinda disappointing that the whole episode is dedicated to Chandler not feeling the need to cry ever, yet in The One With Joey's Dirty Day, he seems to cry after Phoebe yells at him.
And then he apparently cries very easily in the tenth season during The One With Rachel's Going Away party, as he reveals he hasn't cried as hard as he did when saying goodbye to Rachel "in years". This would have been fine, but of course, Monica corrects him in saying he cried at the news, the day before. Now, season 6's episode could be a pre-cursor to that, but it's always been iffy in my books. Which, are the only books that matter, of course.
SEASON 8, EPISODE 4: "THE ONE WHERE RACHEL TELLS..."
Remember this conversation??
JOEY
Y'know, Monica and Chandler are married. Ross and Rachel are having a baby. Maybe you and I should do somethin'??
PHOEBE
All in good time my love. All in good time.
Yeah?? Well maybe because it was basically the same one they had in The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel:
JOEY
So, Ross and Rachel got married. Monica and Chandler almost got married. You think you and I should hook up.
PHOEBE
Oh we do. But not just yet.
Phoebe then goes on to explain how and when the end up together and what not. But, why bring this up twice in the series, and why have basically the exact same answer?? I mean, Joey wouldn't remember already having this conversation before??
Yeah, maybe he wouldn't...
SEASON 5, EPISODE 2: "THE ONE WITH ALL THE KISSING"
MONICA is trying to cover the conversation that she and RACHEL are having, in regards to RACHEL still loving ROSS.
MONICA
Well, Rachel wants to take Swing Dance lessons. Which I think is a really stupid idea. It's dangerous. She's never going to get what she wants. And who knows who she might end up hurting.
ROSS
Monica's right. Swing dancing can be tricky.
This one is simple. I hate how dumb this cover up is. I mean really Monica?? You couldn't have come up with a better lie?? Really??
Oh well. I guess it worked. Ross bought it. I guess he is as oblivious to the obvious as he's shown to be.
SEASON 6, EPISODE 17: "THE ONE WITH UNAGI"
MONICA asks CHANDLER to dance with her as she plays the mix-tape that he "made" her as a Valentine's Day gift. As they embrace during "The Way You look Tonight", they are interrupted by the shrill voice of JANICE, exclaiming from the tape CHANDLER posed as the one he made for MONICA...
JANICE
I love the way you look every night Chandler!! That's why I made you this tape. Happy Birthday!! Love Janice.
Really, this is only bad for personal reasons. I just can't help but think that Chandler could have gotten out of the situation through some very easy lying. If it had been me (well, if it had been me, I wouldn't have forgot in the first place to make a present) I would have just said that I was just using this tape to tape over, and I guess that it didn't work properly. Boom. Done. That would have been accepted, and I would be out in the clear. A little selling it through some pissy groans and flailing limbs, and it would have been bought no problem.
It wouldn't have been funny if he had thought quicker on his feet, I know that. But I just wish he didn't accept his fate so quickly. Come on Chandler!!
SEASON 5, EPISODE 21: "THE ONE WITH THE BALL"
GARY
I really like waking up with you.
MONICA
I like waking up with you too. Oh, it's such a beautiful morning. Oh I could stay here all day.
GARY
That would be great.
PHOEBE
We could have breakfast in bed, and-
GARY
(interrupting)
Just a second.
PHEOBE
Okay.
Just then GARY takes out his gun and shoots the bird that has been singing outside the window. PHOEBE rolls over.
PHOEBE
Oh, no...
Nope. Sorry, there is no way that would happen. There is no way, that Gary would shoot a bird after knowing and dating Phoebe, the strict vegetarian that she is, for the 4 months and six episodes that they would have been together. There is just no way that a person wouldn't know someone else long enough to suspect that shooting a bird wouldn't sway them in some way, especially Phoebe.
I think that it would have been fine had they not been dating for as long as they had, like, had their relationship only spanned 3 episodes or something. But it was 6. It was a long time. Even Monica makes mention how Phoebe even hates to see flowers die. So, either Gary turned into an idiot all of a sudden, and they copped out that way in order to end that story line, or he had been killing small animals the whole time between the panels and was a really, very sadistic cop. I vote the former.
SEASON 8, EPISODE 18: "THE ONE IN MASSAPEQUA"
JOEY
Well, I can promise you, at least one person'll be crying. I'm an actor, and any actor worth his salt can cry on cue.
MONICA
Really? You can do that?
JOEY proceeds his attempt at crying to no avail. It lasts several seconds, of what looks like constipation and then...
JOEY
Well I can't do it with you guys watching me!!
Can you tell that I'm running out of good ones??
Anyway, once again, this is a moment that has already been referenced in a previous episode, but apparently forgotten about. In the third season, The One With The Race Car Bed, Joey lands a job teaching soap opera acting. There, he reveals that he has always been unable to cry, thus he uses tweezers in his pocket. Why would you reveal to a class full of strangers that you can't cry, but lie to your closest friends about it?? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. It was, once again, a joke that could have been replaced with another that was just as good, which also corresponded correctly with the show's other past episodes.
Must just be laziness I guess. It's still funny, but once the whole inaccuracy thing comes into play, well it becomes a little disappointing.

No comments:
Post a Comment