It's closing in on 4am. I was playing along with my normal bad day routine of not being able to fall asleep. Of course, my mind was racing at the pace of a caffeinated jack rabbit, so I decided to do what I always do when I can't sleep and venture out onto my balcony. I went out, and it was much milder than I had anticipated. So I stood, listening to the distant cars on the road. The wind. The odd voice every here and there.
And I looked. Just stared around, focusing on nothing specific. Usually the calmness of the middle of the night settles my brain and I can just let things be until morning.
As I stood there just meditating by doing nothing specific, I felt a mist on my head. I looked to the sky, and saw the cloudiness, but passed it off as nothing more than a slight spitting. It will pass. And then, in the quiet of the night, I heard it. I stood there, thinking it was just the wind, but there was nothing for the wind to pass through to make it that loud. The leaves on the trees below had warn off, and that's precisely what I was hearing. No, it wasn't that. And it was getting louder. Could it be a car coming from down the road, out of sight, but ultimately on it's way?? No. It would have been here by now. And then I deduced what I had originally nixed as a possibility.
It was the rain. I could actually hear the rain, making it's trek over to my apartment. I looked over and sure enough, in the distance, I could see the Home Hardware parking lot begin to darken with moisture and ever so gradually, the mist turned into a spit. And the spit turned into a shower. And it just kept getting louder the closer it got. And I couldn't help but stand there, in awe of how peaceful it was outside that I could actually, physically hear it all on its way.
Remarkable.

No comments:
Post a Comment